Meet & Greet
Prajwala's founder Padmashree Dr.Sunitha Krishnan
ON October 16, 2016 (3:30 PM - 6 PM)
At Sunnyvale Hindu Temple Auditorium
"Meet & Greet Prajwala's founder Padmashree Dr.Sunitha Krishnan"
Prajwala is an anti-trafficking organization which rescued over 18000 women and children past two decades.
Join us at this event!
- WHEN: Sunday, October 16, 2016 From 3:30 pm - 6 pm
- WHERE: Sunnyvale Hindu Temple Auditorium,
450 Persian Drive, Sunnyvale CA 94089
- WHAT: Exclusive presentation & talk by Padmashree Dr. Sunitha Krishnan.
Also presenting, 1/2hr exclusive entertainment segment by Mona Khan Dance Company, Archana Panda, Angela Arana, etc.
- Admission free!!!!
- RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/1607556146224009
- Human trafficking is a modern day slavery, 2nd largest crime with a $32-billion-dollar industry. UN report estimates that trafficking victims represent over 130 different nationalities and are present in almost 120 countries. Human trafficking is not just a problem in other countries but cases of trafficking have been reported in all 50 states, Washington D.C., and the U.S. territories.
- Victims of human trafficking can be children or adults, U.S. citizens or foreign nationals, male or female. It’s heartbreaking that an estimated 26% of modern day slaves are children and 22% of modern slaves are in the Sex Industry. The International Labor Organization estimates that there are 4.5 million people trapped in forced sexual exploitation globally. Every year in India, over 200,000 women and children are inducted into the flesh trade or commercial sexual exploitation.
- Project Roshni, Friends of Prajwala, is a support group which conduct regular awareness events in the Bay Area at public forums and corporates to sensitize people about the facts of sex trafficking and also request their support in eradicating it.
- FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ProjectRoshniOrg/
- Website: www.projectroshni.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prajwala is an internationally and nationally recognized organization working on the issue of sex trafficking and sex crime. With the conviction to prevent women and children from entering prostitution, the worst form of sexual slavery,the organization is actively involved in second-generation prevention, rescue, rehabilitation, restoration and social reintegration of victims of trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation. Efforts are made to explore both employment and self employment alternatives for the survivors.
Spanning 20 years of operation, Prajwala has sustained its mission against human trafficking in spite of many hurdles in the form of mafia, threat to life, bureaucracy, threat to safety and security of the rescued children. This has been possible with the strong and able guidance and leadership of the founders of the organization Sunitha Krishnan and Late Bro Jose Vetticatil.
Dr.Sunitha Krishnan, who was awarded with the fourth highest civilian honor in India, Padmashree in 2016 is known for her expertize in the area of human trafficking the world over. At the core of Prajwala’s philosophy is partnership. It does not see the victims as beneficiaries but as partners in progress. A unique feature of the organization is the victim’s active involvement in designing programs.
- In the past decade over 8,368 marginalized children of women in prostitution have been prevented from entering flesh trade and graduated out of the centers as responsible, socially sensitive citizens of society
- 17,000 women and girls have been rescued from sex slavery
- Over 20 million people have been sensitized on human trafficking
- Over 21,000 police, prosecutors, judges have been trained on anti human trafficking
- Over 14,800 women have been successfully rehabilitated and are empowered with livelihood skills and gainfully employed
- Over 300 minor rape victims have been provided direct support and assistance
The organization runs one of the largest facilities for the rehabilitation of sex trafficked persons and is in the forefront of advocacy efforts nationally. A public interest litigation filed by Prajwala in 2004,lead to Government of India drafting the first ever comprehensive legislation on Human Trafficking. The organization is also instrumental in bringing state level policies for the welfare of victim.
Prajwala has pioneered some path-breaking campaigns such as Movement Against Trafficking(MAT), Men Against Demand (MAD), Swaraksha(a community awakening caravan to counter trafficking) and #ShameTheRapist Campaign.
We, the team of Project Roshni would like to cordially invite you for our upcoming awareness event. This will be an excellent opportunity to meet and listen to an extraordinarily courageous soul Dr. Sunitha Krishnan, the founder of Prajwala, who has dedicated her life in the service of others.